Jason owns, designs and manufactures Sculps Hill Woodworking inventory, and Rhiannon manages business and marketing and also coordinates customer orders. Their custom wood products include bowls, cutting boards, vases, and more, and the couple provide superior customer service by hand-delivering custom products when possible.
With additional funding from the business plan competition, the Schaeffers seek to:
- improve their workshop space for better production;
- investigate the prices of sheds for wood storage;
- purchase a wood engraving laser to personalize projects; and
- establish a website that includes space for custom requests.
Ultimately, the couple hopes to turn this part-time business into a full-time job, and additional funding would allow them to increase their inventory and move towards that goal.
And the winners are…
Once the presenters presented their plans and answered the judges’ questions, it was time for the judges to deliberate. After a 20-minute deliberation period, the judges awarded $5,000 – the maximum award amount – to both Art by Marky and Sculps Hill Woodworking.
This inspiring contest introduced two new businesses to the Penn State Schuylkill LionLaunch audience. Two businesses won funding, but ultimately Schuylkill County won two new businesses to support the local economy.
Special thanks to the sponsors and partners of the business plan competition
This event would not be possible without the generous support of:
- Schuylkill County Commissioners Office
- PPL Electric Utilities
- Center for Education, Business and the Arts
- Northeast PA Manufacturers and Employers Association
- Pottsville Area Development Corporation
- Schuylkill Chamber of Commerce
- Schuylkill Economic Development Corporation
About Penn State Schuylkill LionLaunch
Established in May 2016, Penn State Schuylkill LionLaunch supports the local economy by providing programs, training, and mentorship to budding entrepreneurs and small business owners. It is part of the Invent Penn State program, a Commonwealth-wide initiative of Penn State to drive economic development, job creation, and career success for students.
To learn more about Penn State Schuylkill’s Office of Community Engagement and the LionLaunch program, contact email@example.com.